Monday, April 10, 2017

🏰 AUTHOR INTERVIEW: 'Covert Kisses' Jane Godman



Jane Godman writes paranormal romance for Harlequin Nocturne and SMP Swerve, thrillers for Harlequin Romantic Suspense, and steamy historical romance for Samhain Publishing. 
Jane also writes erotic romance as Amanda Stewart.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | GOODREADS


About the Book:

Coincidence? The beauty who washes up on Mayor Cameron Delaney's private beach eerily resembles his dead girlfriend, Carla. But Laurie Carter, Carla's lookalike cousin, is actually an undercover detective. She's on the job, investigating Cameron's connection to a human-trafficking ring. Laurie knows she must keep her cover—but she's struggling to deceive the man she finds irresistible… 

When Cameron discovers why Laurie is in town, he's furious to realize he's being framed—and stunned at his sudden feelings for the lovely agent. But as they uncover the traffickers, a savage serial killer targets Laurie. Can Cameron save the life of the woman he's come to care for…and unmask the threat haunting his family and Stillwater? 

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Amazon | Barnes & Noble



As a book bloggin’ and book luvin’ Princess, I’m always curious to find out how authors got the ideas for their books.  How did you come up with the idea for your book?


I started with the very cruel idea of how it would feel if a man who was grieving was suddenly confronted with a woman who was the mirror image of his dead girlfriend. The story for Covert Kisses grew from there.


Can you tell us what your book is about?


Covert Kisses is a romantic suspense story. Cameron Delaney is the mayor of Stillwater, a small Wyoming town where everyone knows everyone else’s business. He is stunned when Laurie Carter turns up in town and she is the image of his girlfriend, Carla Bryan. Carla died on her boat twelve months ago.



But Laurie isn’t in Stillwater by chance. She is an undercover cop, and Cameron is the man she is investigating. When Laurie herself becomes a target, Cameron must forget the way she came into his life and go to her aid.  


Can you tell us a little about the main characters of your book?


Cameron Delaney is the charismatic mayor of Stillwater. Wealthy and handsome, the success he has had in his professional life has sadly not been reflected in his personal life. Twelve months ago, he was devastated to lose his beautiful girlfriend, Carla, in what appeared to be a boating accident.

Laurie Carter is a cop who also works undercover for the FBI. Although they had never met, Carla Bryan was her cousin. She has come to Stillwater to investigate a drug and human trafficking ring. Every piece of evidence points to Cameron’s company as the heart of the criminal organization. But when she meets him, her feelings are conflicted.          


If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would that be?


Slow down! Oh, no, hold on. That’s what I need to tell myself now. Seriously, I would tell myself to write the stories I want to read. You can’t please everyone, so there is no point in trying. Just write from the heart and they will be the best stories you can produce. And you will enjoy yourself at the same time.


What would you say is one of your interesting writing quirks?


I don’t write in a linear way. I write the ‘interesting’ scenes first and then go back and fill in the other details. It works best for me, although I often have to rearrange parts of my story later to make the timelines work.


Do you hear from your readers?  What do they say?


Sometimes, although not as often as I’d like. Readers occasionally contact me on Twitter and Facebook. I enjoy that interaction and would love to have more opportunities to talk to readers.


What is the toughest criticism given to you as an author?


The most hurtful review I ever got was one that said my characters lacked emotional depth. I work so hard to ensure that doesn’t happen and it broke my heart to think that even one reader had taken that away from my book. Luckily other readers didn’t feel that way. I think, as a writer, you do have to develop a thick skin and tell yourself that not everyone will like what you do. It’s easier said than done!

 
What has been the best accomplishment?


My first Harlequin Nocturne, Otherworld Protector, will always be a very special book for me. While I was writing it, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. The tumor is low grade and slow growing, but it was a worrying time for me. I was undergoing treatment, but I was determined to finish the book on time (I did). Otherworld Protector was a Romantic Times 2015 Reviewers Choice Award Nominee, so I’m very proud of that book for another reason.

I still have my brain tumor. I still have treatment. But I’m one of the lucky ones. I can live a relatively normal life…and it doesn’t stop me writing!


Do you Google yourself?


I try not to because there is a famous film director with a similar name (Jane Goldman), and also I don’t think it’s healthy. It can become an obsession. 


How many unpublished and half-finished books do you have?


Oh, too many to count! When it gets to more than ten, you should stop keeping track, shouldn’t you?


Do you have anything specific that you would like to say to your readers?


Just a huge ‘thank you’. Being able to write the stories I love is an amazing part of my life. Being able to share them with my readers? That’s an incredible gift and I’m thankful for it every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment